Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Whose Status do you chase?

I think the craziest thing about status is how, sure, there are some universals, there's also a lot of silos operating simultaneously, such that the status I may seek is somewhat independent from yours.  I might want to make it to Assistant Director, and you, Partner, or you might have a number in your head that represents the appropriate amount of sales and I have a school name in my head.

That's interesting because it provides insight into how we all value other people who hold the virtues that we seek for ourselves, and those who don't.

And it shows how sort of small our worlds are, even though lots of status will likely bring lots of money, which is universal in a sense, how we spend that money signals which groups we want to appear to be part of, and that's much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment