Friday, August 12, 2011

College is Useless, at least for formal education.

Most of what college does is select people into groups.  That grouping, and learning the ins and outs of how one behaves in that group, is what matters, and what college teaches us, even if we don't end up going at all.

That's of course, because I studied liberal arts type stuff.  If I had studied physics or engineering, or even psychology (like I originally wanted, but didn't because both of my parents already did that and I wanted to be different (which was stupid, since, ya know, they might have been able to actually help me)), which was a science at my school,  or math, or biology, or computer science, I might have learned something.

See, now I do believe that we actually have to have substance and knowledge in our heads before we can be critical of that substance and knowledge.  And it turns out that it takes many, many years to get substance and knowledge.  Which is to say that specializing is good, and necessary, and that having too many options isn't that good.  I know, I know, if you are forced down one path, it might not be valued in the same way, but it is my opinion that we've extended adolescence into adulthood far too long,.

Which is to say that freedom of speech is over-rated and we should worry less about how unique we are and just understand that we're really small and that we understand very little, and that even with extraordinary effort and huge amounts of time, we still only understand another sliver of a very small piece of the pie of understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment